Darlington Township Historical Landmark
Greersburg Academy was an institution
established by Reverend Thomas Hughes in
Darlington, Pennsylvania, United States in 1802.
The academy was created as a "prep" school for
college. Classes included languages, philosophy,
and astronomy. The stone structure was built
around 1806 making it one of the oldest buildings
still standing in Beaver County. Though it wasn't
originally intended to be used for anything else
but school, the structure did function as a railway
station for a time. It served several railroads
between 1883 and 1972. There were railroad
stations built in other countries solely for trains,
and some of these stations date back to the 1830's
like the Liverpool Road railway station in Manchester, England. However, the academy building was built in 1806, which possibly makes it the oldest structure in the world to have ever been used as a station. The Little Beaver Historical Society currently maintains the structure.
John Brown - Famous abolitionist
Walter Forward - 15th Secretary of the Treasury 1841-1843
John White Geary - An American Civil War general who served in theUnion Army and first mayor of San Francisco
Daniel Leasure - Union Army Colonel during the American Civil War and later trustee of the academy
William Holmes McGuffey - American professor and creator of Mcguffey Readers
Photo's taken from Little Beaver Historical Society Facebook Site
Peffers Store Darlington 1907 building still exists in Darlington. Was Darlington post office for many years also.
GRAHAM BROTHERS Ford tractor dealership.. Building later became Darlington Fire department.
Darlington Hotel Darlington PA this hotel sat at the corner lot where Classic Express gas station and car wash are currently located
Beaver Falls Darlington East Palestine Bus
Peffers store today 2020
Graham Brothers wagon store Darlington PA
Darlington Fire department.
Greersburg Station 1920 the men are Bob Cook William Benson and Doctor W.S. Cook This view is the back of Greersburg Academy the bump out to the left of the picture was the ticket office. When the historical society took over the Academy from the railroad they tore that bump out off and restored it to what it looked like when the building was built.
Oakdale School Cannelton
Downtown Darlington 1921 check out that pot hole.
Beaver County miners Darlington Brick and Clay company
1950 blizzard corner of Old Darlington Road and Wallace Run Road, where Jack's Independent Service is now located.
This is a local road in Darlington in the 1920's
C.W. PEFFER in front of his store Darlington
Watts mill and bridge, hopefully the bridge will be put back before the end of the year 2020
Darlington Joint school building.
Downtown Darlington 4th of July 1920's
Darlington brick 1920's gas fired kilns.
Front porch of the Darlington Hotel 1903. The Darlington hotel was a very fancy establishment for its time . It had a small movie theater , a garage for 20 cars, a 5000 gallon water tank that supplied running water to the rooms, Ice house, bar,restaurant , and laundry all on site . It sat at 702 Market Street where the current Classic express gas station sits. It burnt down in 1925.
1939 Darlington Lake
Darlington Lake, May 1977, From BCHRLF archives
Darlington Lake when the lake was just the dammed up Little Beaver Creek
another early postcard Darlington Lake Park